Animal Control & Pet Licensing

The Village contracts with the Humane Society of Portage County to pick up stray animals in the Village, to investigate legitimate complaints received from residents, to enforce the Village Animal Control Ordinances and to issue previously un-issued licenses to Village residents who reclaim their animals.

The Humane Society of Portage County (located at 3200 Iber Lane) is a non profit organization chartered by the State of Wisconsin and member of the Wisconsin Federated Humane Societies. The Humane Society accepts any unwanted pet. They provide animal rescue for stray and injured animals and maintain an area-wide lost and found service. If a pet becomes lost the owner should report it immediately to the Humane Society. They also provide animal care programs to schools and adult organizations at no charge.

Report a Stray or Complaint

Call the Portage County Humane Society to report stray animals or to register animal complaints. 715-344-6012

Dog Licenses

Wisconsin state law and the Village Municipal Code require that as of March 31st of each year, or upon reaching 5 months of age, all dogs must be licensed and must have an active certificate of proof of rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian. A certificate of proof of current vaccination must be presented when obtaining a license.


Licenses are available for purchase at the Village Office. Licenses may also be purchased by mail by sending a check in the amount of the applicable license fee along with the current rabies vaccination certificate from the veterinarian to:

Village of Plover
P.O. Box 37
Plover, WI 54467

The certificate contains all the information required for issuance of the license, and will be returned to you, with the license, by return mail.


DogLicense Fee (Prior to April 1st)License Fee (After April 1st)

Neutered Male or Spayed Female


Un-Neutered Male or Un-Spayed Female


A late fee of $5 shall be charged the owners of each dog 5 months of age or over who fails to obtain a dog license before April 1. In addition, the fines for a dog running at large, failure to obtain a dog license, or failure to have a dog vaccinated against rabies is in excess $150 for each offense.


Dogs are not allowed to run at large. All animals must be leashed at all times.

Howling Dogs

Owning or keeping a dog that habitually barks or howls causing serious disturbances to persons in the neighborhood is a nuisance that is barred by the Village Municipal Code.

Pets Prohibited in Public Grounds & Facilities

Pet owners and keepers must prevent their animals from entering into or upon any playing fields, spectator areas, picnic areas, park buildings. Guide or signal dogs, or other animals trained to guide persons with disabilities are excepted.

Cleaning Up After Pets

Any person owning, keeping, possessing, or harboring any dog or cat must promptly remove and dispose of feces left by the dog or cat on any property not owned or lawfully occupied by the pet owner or keeper. Failure to do so may result in a fine of $169.